Tuesday, November 18, 2008
I've been tagged!
I'm still learning my way around the blogosphere, and I've managed to catch someone's (Alice!) attention long enough that I now have some sort of writing assignment:
Ok, so... 7 random/weird facts about me (I leave it to the reader to decide which are weird and which are random):
1. I was reading books on my own before I was 4. Kindergarten was a disappointment, I'd hoped they would have new books for me to read, but I was SOL. In first grade, the teacher tried to fob "Dick and Jane" off on me. Poor judgement on her part!
2. I take notes on nearly every book I read, not just because I want them to draw from for reviews, or because I am a quote slut, but it slows me down and helps me get more out of the book--I sometimes don't know when to stop skimming, if I let myself start.
3. I actually really love short story collections. Not that I need to find more authors to follow, but collections are actually my most reliable source for new reading material.
4. It bothers me to read a series out of order. I hate not knowing the full backstory that authors leave out for the sake of developing a good story. Unfortunately, I also hate it when authors provide too much backstory in their novels; it makes me think they're just bumping their word count and making the plot suffer.
5. I still read Lilian Jackson Braun's Cat Who... series, even though she jumped the shark a long time ago. (come on, you know she did, diety bless her heart)
6. I read my first Harlequin novel before I started 5th grade; it was my mom's, and I had her permission to read it. Of course, now, I wonder what the heck she was thinking...
7. My wildest (book-related) fantasy involves me accepting an Oscar for Best Screenplay (Book Adaptation)--for a Pern novel, and having Neil Gaiman sign it, even though he didn't win that year.
Now, for the next round of victims, I choose:
Linda, Chris, Janet, Jill, Nymeth, Ali, and Wendi
Note, my taggees don't have to have a bookish theme, I only did because, um... baaaaaa!