Thursday, November 6, 2008

Booking Through Thursday: Presents!

What, if any, memorable or special book have you ever gotten as a present? Birthday or otherwise. What made it so notable? The person who gave it? The book itself? The “gift aura?”

Growing up, I rarely received books as gifts (we made much use of our public library). It wasn't until amazon.com came into being that I had a good way to let people know what books I'd like to have. Despite this useful service, I received quite the memorable book from my boyfriend (now known as DH) for his family's Christmas celebration.

Since early on in our relationship, S has strived to be helpful, specifically, to put those efforts into problem-solving. One of my "problems" is an (apparently) pathological lack of assertiveness. How better to gain skills than with a self-help book to that end? [he must have said to himself] I have to say that I took it pretty hard; I was incredulous. I think I even shed a few tears. At some point after we'd gotten home, I faked some power-assertiveness and gave the book back to him.

Aside from the fact that DH is now pretty much forbidden to buy me presents off-list, I'm sure I won't be acquiring books of any sort, for any occasion, for quite a while. Many of my bookshelves are double- and triple-stacked, so I have a fair amount of space to clear.

No comments: