Thursday, October 30, 2008

Booking Through Thursday: Conditioning

Are you a spine breaker? Or a dog-earer? Do you expect to keep your books in pristine condition even after you have read them? Does watching other readers bend the cover all the way round make you flinch or squeal in pain?

Goodness no: at least, not on purpose. I don't get obsessive about keeping my books pristine (this term makes me think "shrink-wrapping"), but I won't subject them to purposeful abuse, either. My husband tends to leave books face down and open, and it makes me nuts, even though they're his books to do with as he pleases (well, the fact that he's doing this to expensive technical books is part of my problem). So, yeah, my response is more like a gut-clenching, wimpering, I-can't-watch-this anxiety attack.

On the other hand, I've (had to) become at least slightly less manic when it comes to my son's books. I have a big stack that ought to be fixed before they circulate again(a few may be beyond worth repairing). Who knows when that will actually happen? Maybe when my daughter is old enough for them?

No comments: