Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Book swappage haul

My son's school hosted a book swap/cake walk event tonight, and I spent part of today gathering books that we didn't need to have around anymore (DH would likely say "that would be ALL of them."). I registered them on BookCrossing, and was reminded that I'm coming up on my 6th anniversary of being a member (not that I've been a great member, mind you) on Saturday. Not sure if I want to do anything to commemorate it, or if anyone on the fora would even participate. Anyway, I didn't win a cake (apparently, grown-ups do not participate in cakewalks), nor a turkey dinner from the state-based chain, but I did find a lot of great books, mostly for the kids:

When Sophie Gets Angry--Really, Really Angry, by Molly Bang (Caldecott Honor, Charlotte Zolotow Award)

Skeleton Hiccups, by Margery Cuyler

"Slowly, Slowly, Slowly", said the Sloth, by Eric Carle

Colors at the Zoo, by Phoebe Henderson

Wheels on the Bus (Playmore, Inc. Pubs)

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, by Robert Frost, ill. by Susan Jeffers

Biscuit Finds a Friend, by Alyssa Satin Capucilli

Henry and Mudge and the Snowman Plan, by Cynthia Rylant

I Knew You Could! A Book for All the Stops in Your Life, by Craig Dorfman
-I'm not reading this one in full yet, as it starts like this:
"I knew you could! And you knew it, too--
That you'd come out on top after all you've been through.
And from here you'll go farther and see brand-new sights.
You'll face brand-new hills that rise to new heights"
And I have a feeling that the rest will just make me cry. We aren't quite there with Anthony yet, but we do see glimmers of hope now and then. Maybe someday I'll look back and say that this book was the reason I needed to go to the swap tonight. Someday, I'll be able to read it for inspiration, and not in despair over losing the little boy I thought I'd have.

Pigs, by Robert Munsch

I See, You Saw, by Nurit Karlin

If You Give a Moose a Muffin, by Laura Joffe Numeroff

Old Black Fly, by Jim Aylesworth

The Ladybug and Other Insects, by Gallimard Jeunesse and Sylvaine Peyrols

Understand and Care, Share and Take Turns, and Be Polite and Kind by Cheri J. Meiners

E is for Elvis: The Elvis Presley Alphabet, by Ivey Dickinson and Rand Wireman
-I picked this up for my mom, will give it to her for Christmas from the kids.

Tawny Scrawny Lion, by Kathryn Jackson

Disney's Winnie the Pooh and You: A Book You Write About Yourself
-blank, but all the stickers are gone. Oh well, we can probably find better ones!

I Can Fly! by Alain Crozon

The Classic Treasury of Children's Poetry, ed. by Louise Betts Egan

Go In and Out the Window: An Illustrated Songbook for Young People, from the Metropolitan Museum of Art
-beautiful book, hoping one of my kids has enough musical ability to enjoy it.

And a few for Momma:
The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova
Cross Bones, by Kathy Reichs
The Last Templar, by Raymond Khoury
Prize Stories 1997 The O. Henry Awards, ed. by Larry Dark
The Mermaid Chair, by Sue Monk Kidd
Ten Days in the Hills, by Jane Smiley

No comments: