Wednesday, August 5, 2009
A Belated Post for BTT (a twofer, actually)
Which do you prefer? (Quick answers–we’ll do more detail at some later date)
* Reading something frivolous? Or something serious? Serious
* Paperbacks? Or hardcovers? Paperbacks
* Fiction? Or Nonfiction? Nonfiction
* Poetry? Or Prose? Prose
* Biographies? Or Autobiographies? Autobiographies
* History? Or Historical Fiction? History
* Series? Or Stand-alones? Series
* Classics? Or best-sellers? Classics
* Lurid, fruity prose? Or straight-forward, basic prose? Basic
* Plots? Or Stream-of-Consciousness? Plots
* Long books? Or Short? Short
* Illustrated? Or Non-illustrated? Illustrated
* Borrowed? Or Owned? Owned
* New? Or Used? Used
and: What’s the funniest book you’ve read recently?
Battle for the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians), by Rick Riordan
The author does a decent interpretation of the old myths, and modernizes them pretty well. They're written for the middle-school crowd, but they aren't dumbed-down. Great adventures, good characters, and pretty much guaranteed to make you laugh out loud, even if your setting isn't conducive to it.
I can't believe I've been AWOL since January. Really will try to remedy that.