Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Pay it Forward, by Catherine Ryan Hyde

I’d seen the movie a few years ago, and then was gifted with this book via BookCrossing. I was expecting differences between the two, but it is really obvious that whatever studio accepted the screenplay really wanted a “dry white toast” version of the story. Needless to say, I liked the book better, and now wish I hadn’t spent time on the movie at all.

I think that the saddest aspect of the book is that “pay it forward” has not spread far into real life, and I’m too cynical (at least at the moment) to believe that it can.

As far as the story itself, I had some difficulty believing in the character of Trevor. I mean, seriously; how many children of alcoholic mothers and absent fathers turn out so well and navigate in such manner through junior high?

That said, it was a sweet story, and I’m glad I was able to spend some time being inspired by the characters that were left out of the movie.

[originally posted to BookCrossing, 2/26/07]

No comments: